Do to others as you would have them do to you. [Luke 6:31]
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding. [Proverbs 3:5]
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. [Hebrews 11:1]

Monday, January 14, 2008

Philippine Goverment Offices...

  • Last Friday, I went to the DFA [Department of Foreign Affairs] to have my passport renewed. I woke up at 4am, had breakfast, showered, dressed and was out of the house by 5am. It was still dark at that time, in fact, it was still dark at 6am. Was at the vicinity of the DFA at 6:30am, I thought I was quite early [when I applied for a passport in 2003, got there at 7am and the people were a lot but it was only 1/4th of the people who were there last Friday] but there were already hundreds in line. Went to the back of the line and each seconds passed the line kept on getting longer. They let people in at 9am. Yep. To get inside the vicinity of the DFA, it took me almost 3 hours.
  • Once inside the vicinity, made my way to the basketball court, where STEP1 [I really don't know what they do here, they basically number your application form], the line I was while outside was totally disregarded for a new line was formed. I didn't know I had to hurry to line up. I took my sweet time walking. I should have run. It was another long line to face. Finished Step 1 around 11am-ish. Waited for another 2 hours, at this time, we were still in line, some were lucky they had seats, I wasn't one of those people. Had to buy crackers and gatorade because I was hungry. [had my breakfast at 4am remember].
  • Around almost 2pm, the line going to another building, for STEP2 [they check your documents here, if you lack one or two, you just have to go back next time, I guess.] The lines will be segregated once you're inside the building, though, there's still a line for each. Fairly fast though. Especially for renewals. At 3pm, was finished with Step2. Here's what I don't get, why don't they check the documents early on? I mean, new applicants have already lined up for hours only to find out when they reach Step2 that they will not be able to go on because they lack a document or two? Isn't that plain common sense? AND I think, they should have a separate line for renewals and new applicants, that way, the people who are just there to renew will finish early and more people will be accommodated. SIGH.
  • Had to go to another line in going to the Auditorium [where Steps 3 & 4 are], took about half an hour to get inside that Auditorium. Step 3 is just where you pay for the fee. Php750 for 7 working days. Php500 for 14 working days. That was fairly fast. Another line is formed for Step4, they have chairs and the place is air-conditioned, so, at least, it wasn't that excruciating than when lining up for getting inside the vicinity and Steps 1 and 2.
  • More than 30 minutes have passed before I was called to have my data encoded and stuff. That went fairly quick. Thumb print. Signature. Then it was FINALLY over at 4pm.
  • Was really tired at this point. I got there fresh and all and I left that place [that you will hate] feeling frustrated and kept asking myself, if that is an everyday thing, why don't they do something about it?
  • On the news last Sunday, a new online application will be available for those people who wants to renew their passport. The news bulletin on the DFA website was dated January 11. That was the day I decided to go since I had a light day at work and I can take the day off. SIGH. Grrrr to DFA.
  • So, if you want to have your Philippine passport renewed and you have the budget, go thru a travel agency, or try that online thingy. Call up their hotline number 7371000 to ask for requirements and such.
  • CAUTION to new applicants. DON'T BELIEVE those people outside the DFA when they tell you that you will not get in without an application form [the forms are FREE and AVAILABLE once you are inside the vicinity] and DON'T believe them if they tell you that your picture is not the right one. If ever your picture will be invalid, there is a photo booth inside the Auditorium [where Steps 3 & 4 is located] and only in Step4 will you FIND OUT if your picture is valid. Just to make sure that you will have the right one, call up the hotline before heading out to the DFA office, they give specific requirements on how the picture should be. And if you go to a studio photo place, I feel, they already know how the picture should be once you tell them it's for passport purposes. Bring a book or an ipod. Though, with all those people around you, someone is bound to talk to you. I met 3 gurls [Lyn, Tess and Estela]. One lost her passport and returning to Japan where his husband is, one is a new applicant bound for Spain, one is renewing hers and returning to Kuwait. After Step2 though, I didn't see them anymore. I wonder why. I hope they will get theris soon. I will go back to that place on the 22nd to get my passport. Praying no mistakes on spelling of my names or wrong date of birth and what not.
  • Okay, not all our government offices are inefficient. Went to the National Statistics Office website and you now can request for a copy of your birth certificate or marriage certificate and what not online. Then you just have to pay at any BDO or Unionbank branches and it'll be delivered to you in under a week, I think.
  • Let's go back to being inefficient, the Post Office, or like my friend calls it, the LOST office. NG sent me a CD December 17th. A Christmas card was supposed to be included but he lost it on his way to the Post Office. Anyhoo, he paid $18 and marked it EXTREMELY URGENT, so it'll get to me around Christmas time. He was told it'll take about a week to 10 days max. I got the notice from the Philippine Post Office last Friday [January 11th], what boggles me is, the item was already written as to what is inside that plastic package. They just wanted to get Php35 [processing fee] from me when I get it personally. SIGH. NG is pissed about that. Not only because he lost the Christmas card [he did send me another one that following week, which, I STILL haven't gotten. I'm NOT surprised!] when he mailed that and it cost him more than it should. If only he listened to me when I told him not to send that CD and just bring it when he comes over. Oh well. NG can be stubborn at times. Hee. I must get used to that no? But he did that so I could have something for Christmas aside from other things he got me. I'm most excited about the Christmas card though. I didn't get much this year but that's okay. There's always next Christmas. [that's a hint to all those friends and family reading this...heee]
  • I could give you more dirt on our government offices [I work alongside one] but I think, that's enough for now. I just needed to let that out. I'm still frustrated. I want my almost 10 hours of January 11 back. Bleh to you DFA. My sisters are renewing their passports in Dubai as I asked them to.
  • It's a brand new week. Hoping it'll be an okay one. Must log off and spend time playing Mystery Case Files : Madame Fate [THANK you Pia!]. May you have a good week. God Bless.
  • No comments: